Whenever a new report is announced on the radio or television on how bad the real estate market is I switch the radio or T.V. station immediately. Let's face it, we are influenced dramatically by the media and if we listen to them enough we become what they keep telling us we should be.
The media wants our youth to buy everything they want and desire. They us men to have that 4-wheel truck that only REAL MEN drive. They want you women to have the clothes, cars, jewelry, and social life of your dreams. They want you and I to believe just how bad the real estate market is.
I refuse to participate and I am carving my own path!
1. If you are in negative environment at your office then get out! Yes, there may be a lot of things you like about the office but if the environment is negative then get out and get to an environment that breads a positive attitude.
2. In the early nineties I read a book called "Walk Like A Giant, Sell Like A Madman" by Ralph Roberts and I have read that book or parts of it every year since. I just read it again this year. It is one of the simplest and most inspiring books I have ever read. Get a book that inspires you and read it!
3. Get CD's or tapes that has either music or training that works for you. Everyone is different and different things motivate us. Find music and or training CD's that you love and motivate you and listen to this instead of the negative news.
3. Start walking, jogging or any sort of physical excersize. It is amazing what just 15-20 minutes of just simple walking each day can do for our attitude. Regardless of your age, get off your easy chair and go outside and walk or dust off the treadmill and change your appearance and your attitude.
4. Stop advertising "Price Reduced" on all your listings and start running positive ads for buyers that say "Over 200 homes in the $100-$150,000 price range to choose from" and advertise the low interest rates that are available for them. Create "A Desire" and a sense of "Urgency" in the buyer's minds and give them a reason to call you. In 1987 right after mortgage rates peaked and had lowered to 12 ½% from the highs of 17 1/2% I ran buyer ads that advertised how many homes were available and started advertising "Payments" instead of interest rates and at one time made 5 sales in 3 weeks off of these ads while Realtors were dropping out of the business like flies.
5. When consumers ask you how the market is tell them "It's an awesome time to buy a home" and leave it at that. If they say, "What about my home that is going down in value?" simply say "Hang on if you can for this market too will change. If you cannot hang on, this is reality and this is the market we have".
6. If people want to put you down just smile at them and thank them for thier opinion. If someone in your family or office wants to get you into a negative conversation "Walk Away and go back to a Happy Place" just like "Happy Gilmore"
Negativity breeds negativity and negative people want no more than to pull you down their self-imposed path of destruction. Instead of focusing on what is bad in your real estate world start focusing on the opportunities that exist. in this market people are still getting married, still getting divorced, still getting promotions, demotions, and relocating, which all causes them to need to buy or sell a home. People don't stop living because real estate markets change and they want to work with a positive Realtor that will take care of their needs. You can be 95% of the whiners or 5% of the movers and shakers.
We are what we believe we are and we can continue to be part of the problem or we can "Think outside the box and find new ways to create business". No one is going to do this for you. It has to come from you and only you can change your world.
Native Idahoan and Boise Idaho Real Estate specialist serving Boise, Meridian Eagle, Nampa, Caldwell and the surrounding Treasure valley area of southwest Idaho. Specializing in residential, investment, land and commercial real estate. Search thousands of MLS listings at Boise Homes for sale and learn all about Idaho by visiting Search Idaho Homes